Thursday, February 28, 2008

Episode four of Lost, Eggtown


We watched the latest episode of Lost as we usually do. And as usual it left is with a lot of questions. Here are some...

Brett: OK we're Lost again.
Babsi: Yeah, what did you think?
Brett: I enjoyed the episode hugely, as usual. I really really enjoyed it.
Babsi: But more than the last one right?
Brett: Yeah, probably more than the last one. Although with the last one they did fire some rocket, to check some times, and I do like that nerdy scientific stuff. There was none of that in this episode.
Babsi: That was rubbish though. I really didn't like last week, I liked this week. Because the acting was very good, Evangeline Lily, Josh Holloway and Mathew Fox are really good actors and they hold it together. I think Lost would lose credibility without them.
Brett: It's a very complicated story to tell. The scene between Sawyer and Kate in the bedroom, where she slapped him. Where one moment she's with him and one moment she's gone, I found that very confusing. It must have been very hard to play, I think.
Babsi: Well no, he's just being mean and provocative really.


Brett: Was he? I thought he just wanted to be with her and he thought she was pregnant. He reacted like a ...
Babsi: Too relieved, I guess, when he found out that she wasn't.
Brett: Do you think he acted too relieved?
Babsi: Erm, no I thought his reaction was pretty normal. Was it more about her thinking the whole time she's pregnant. I got a bit confused by the whole pregnant thing.
Brett: Yeah, where did the pregnancy come from?
Babsi: I think from a few episodes before, because Julia kept talking about Austin's sample.
Brett: Oh yeah, that's right.
Babsi: I thought the fashion was interesting this time. All the people who escaped the island, because they got a huge pay-off from Oceanic, who are probably bankrupt after this whole thing, their fashion changes. So somebody must have sat down and said, “Ok we need a costume change, big time!” And it's noticeable. Last episode it was noticeable with Saeid, and with Kate this time, it is really noticeable. And Jack, they both look completely different, she looks older, obviously because it is a flash forward. The flash forwards are...
Brett: I don't know if she was supposed to look older.
Babsi: Yes because it is a few years afterwards.
Brett: The series has been going for two or three years now.
Babsi: The flash forward is a few years afterwards.
Brett: But did she really look older.
Babsi: In the trial bit? I thought so.
Brett: Maybe she just looks older because she's dressed conservatively.
Babsi: Possibly, yeah sure. I just thought it was an interesting thing because on the island they are always wearing the same stuff and it's always a bit ripped. It's just a different look. It's funny because you always see Kate in kind of tom-boyish clothes, practical clothes and in the flash forward it's all purpley velvet sort of stuff. It's sort of semi-styled and I did really notice it this time. Maybe because we just went shopping, I don't know why, but I really noticed it this time, and it's interesting. And the twist at the end is very interesting.
Brett: Yeah, but why would Jack be upset about the baby, it's called Aaron isn't it.
Babsi: I think he assumes the baby is Sawyer's.
Brett: But how would that mix-up happen? I mean he sees Aaron all the time.
Babsi: Well, you don't know. You don't know whether Claire died and Kate took the baby...
Brett: But we're supposed to assume.
Babsi: Yeah maybe, but she could just explain it to people. OK, look she's very cautious about that. She doesn't want her mum to see the baby, or anyone, but she wants Jack to see the baby, so it's a bit confusing.
Brett: But why would Jack care if Kate has this friends baby, because perhaps something happened to the friend?
Babsi: Perhaps she even murdered her, I don't know, everything's crazy.
Brett: There are always bits that are a little bit mad. Like Kate's conversation with the scientist in the boathouse, where she says, “Tell me what you know about me.” And he says, “I'll tell you what I know about you, if you bring me someone I want to speak to.” And she says, “Who?”, and he says, “You know who.” And there are always bits of dialogue in this show where nobody is actually saying anything, for line after line.
Babsi: I know what you mean but this episode was a lot better episode.
Brett: It was a better episode, because you did seem to find stuff out.
Babsi: At least it didn't trail off leaving you feeling it's so dull you can't take it anymore. And again that was down to the acting. This time the interesting actors dominated the scene. Not that Navine Andrews isn't bad or anything. It was just a weirder story.
Brett: I suppose we're really talking about this Ben character and who he turns out to be. Apparently the people on the boat know who he is or what he is.
Babsi: Well apparently everybody knows, and sort of assumes he is rich.
Brett: Apparently he's some sort of rich, powerful player.
Babsi: Seems to be. I can't see that he's rich somehow because, how would that even be possible?
Brett: I don't know, maybe he's the head of one of the companies or something.
Babsi: But that doesn't make any sense because we know his back-story and he was on the island. Why would he be rich? Does he have a Swiss bank account somewhere, what's the story?
Brett: We didn't really learn...did we learn anything new?
Babsi: We learned that eight people survived, that's not very many. And somehow we've learned that Claire probably hasn't survived, which is weird.
Brett: Or didn't make it to the outside, because apparently there are some on the island that they might need to go back for. But what I was thinking of is, wasn't everybody supposed to be interested in what the island is and what it all means? Isn't that we were all supposed to be interested in at the beginning?
Babsi: JJ seems to twist what we're interested in.
Brett: So not if one person happens to be in America and another happens to be on an island. I thought the point was, you know, what is the island?
Babsi: Well we sort of found out that the island is kind of like magnetic.
Brett: Yeah, there's some magnetic thing going on, and time is a little bit different on the island, we've learned. But her mum wasn't dead for a thousand years, so time isn't hugely different.
Babsi: Not hugely different no, just a bit.
Brett: I think we've found out as much as we ever will about the island. There are some big companies who are interested in it and it's a bit peculiar, and some hippies did some experiments. And that's all there is to it I reckon.
Babsi: What did you expect though? Did you expect something really different, spectacular and mind-bogglingly life changing.
Brett: Yeah, at one point there was a monster that made clicking noises.
Babsi: Yeah, but that was explained, it was part of the Others spy games.
Brett: The others live in wooden houses. They have book clubs. They don't have monsters.
Babsi: Well there was this weird ...
Brett: And the Hostiles lived in the woods in rags. They don't have monsters. So what was the island supposed to be. Because that's some sort of real high tech. Some cloud of nanotechnology or something, what else, could it be?
Babsi: I think JJ just got bored with it.
Brett: I think you're right. He must have thought, “I'm never going to be able to explain this monster. I'd better just leave it out. I've got three series left for them to forget about it.”
Babsi: No, no, you know what? Jacob can change shape, he's a sort of shape-shifting creature, apparently.
Brett: Uh huh, according to that spoiler we read on the internet.
Babsi: He comes back, I think he was in the second episode, or something, where Hurley takes them to the Jacob's house, and he wasn't there, or the house wasn't there or something.
Brett: Yeah, the house was gone. So the house is the black, clicking-noise monster?
Babsi: No, no no no. You know the Jacob person from series three. He was ...
Brett: (Whispers), “Help me.”
Babsi: ... yeah that's right, well done. He can change shape apparently, so maybe he turned into the monster. I'm starting to think that's possible.
Brett: But that's just nuts.
Babsi: Well yes, but the whole series is nuts.
Brett: The monster started out being really angry, chewing up trees and eating pilots. And then all of a sudden it just disappears, “I'm just going to sleep curled up under a tree, nobody's going to hear from me again.” I think we've found out as much as we are ever going to. I think it'll just keep on tying itself in knots with human interest stories now. I don't think we'll get anymore information. Like I used to love it when they would find a different hatch...
Babsi: But they've run out of hatches.
Brett: Yeah, but I loved that stuff, where there was always something new. Now a ship sails up and it's got some bonkers scientists on board who don't say much. That's not the same as a hatch full of magnetic walls that go “vreep” and maps, all that stuff. And all that came to nothing. You think, “Wow, when they put all that together, they're really going to discover something.” But they put it together and all they find is some wooden houses, and now they live there.
Babsi: It all collapsed like a flan.
Brett: It did, it collapsed like a flan. What ever happened to that Russian guy? He just swam off, or was he killed by his own grenade?
Babsi: He killed Charlie.
Brett: I think he'll be back. He'll be the captain of the ship.
Babsi: I think they even mentioned his name, they said Mikhail.
Brett: Did they?
Babsi: I think so. Maybe not, I can't remember.
Brett: Was the book important, because I missed the title.
Babsi: Which book?
Brett: At the very beginning Lock gives Ben his breakfast, and he gives him a book to read.
Babsi: Oh dear, this book thing. They are like, “We are so clever and we are so educated, we are just going to put lots of books in the show all the time.” Even Sawyer, who is hot, is also a bit of a nerd.
Brett: Yeah, what was he reading? I'll have to look all this up on the internet. It might all be full of clues.
Babsi: Erm, nope it won't be.
Brett: It looked like one of the classics. Poor guy, they've got him reading the classics.
Babsi: He wears those nerdy glasses when he reads. How many spirals did we give it last week. I think two or something. This one should get three.
Brett: Yeah, I'll go along with three, because it's still interesting, it still grips you and you enjoy the episode. You get carried along by it because you've got to know the characters.
Babsi: Yeah, but the credit solely goes to Matthew Fox, Evangeline Lily and Josh Holloway.
Brett: And I think, that's a problem with a show. When it needs that.
Babsi: They're the best actors. They really are the best, they keep it going. Whenever they're around, they keep it enjoyable.
Brett: I like the characters that are a bit more weird in the story. I like the Scottish guy who goes, “Hello brother, I can see the future, and my clothes fall off.”
Babsi: Yeah, but he's in the helicopter, so we're going to find out about him next week.
Brett: I think next week's episode is going to be a lot better.
Babsi: Well the trailer seemed to have a lot of action.
Brett: But it might be disappointing. The helicopter might o a little way and have to turn round because it's stormy and land back on the island. “What happened to you guys on the helicopter?”, “Not very much. What have you discovered back on the island?”, “Nothing.”, “Didn't we think this was oing to be a super important episode?”, “Maybe but it's not now.”, “Didn't the new scientists tell you anything?”, “No, they've been playing cards on the beach.”
Babsi: how to write about nothing, I don't know. I think that's a bit cruel because I like Lost when it goes deeper into the peoples connections. I do like that.
Brett: Which is kind of a deep thing in a way.
Babsi: It's a very deep thing. Maybe JJ wanted to start it as a mad futuristic thing but he changed his mind.
Brett: maybe he lost his nerve.


No comments: