Monday, February 25, 2008

Review of "Definitely, Maybe"

Babsi: We saw Definitely, Maybe yesterday. I think it was interesting. Shall we review it? What did you think of it?
Brett: I really enjoyed it, I thought it was great.
Babsi: Why?
Brett: Well it was really well written, funny all the usual stuff. It was like When Harry Met Sally funny.
Babsi: It's not as good as When Harry Met Sally because, it was good, but the acting wasn't all that great. The main actor is no Billy Crystal and none of those three women are a Meg Ryan.
Brett: I get a bad vibe off him actually. I had to ignore that to enjoy the movie.
Babsi: Really?
Brett: Yeah.
Babsi: No he was ok, he was alright.
Brett: Well we'll see. I've got nothing to base it on. I'll have to do a bit of research in Hello and OK, see what his private life is like.
Babsi: Well no, you can't judge an actor by what his private life is like, that's ridiculous. I don't agree with that.
Brett: Tom Cruise
Babsi: Ah Tom Cruise is just an idiot, we know that. He's a complete freak. Yeah but that's wrong, to judge somebody by their private life.
Brett: He seems to have bad vibes, like he's not nice.
Babsi: I thought he was too nice to be true actually, in the part.
Brett: But it seemed to me that was an act. Like he was gritting his teeth through it.
Babsi: Maybe, so you didn't quite buy his acting. What I thought was brilliant about the film was that it was set in during the first Clinton campaign and he was trying to get Clinton elected. He was phoning people up and trying to sell them tickets to fund-raising dinners, that was funny. The whole background was interesting. I liked the people who worked there, especially the copy girl person. She was cool, she got a bit soppy with the whole proposing thing and that was cheesy but it's an American movie and you've got to expect a bit of cheese.
Brett: There was a lot of cheese, like the kid being very grown up and wise about relationships, that was so cheesy.
Babsi: It was a bit cheesy but I like Abigail Braislin. She was very good in Little Miss Sunshine.
Brett: She acted it well, yeah.
Babsi: She acted it really well.
Brett: But it's a cheesy contrived thing to make a story move along. And that was the first thing on screen, so my initial reaction was, “Oh dear. What have I let myself in for?” But it worked in the end.
Babsi: It did work. I think it did work. She was a bit too good to be true. All the characters were a bit too good to be true. The copy girl wasn't though she was a bit more interesting.
Brett: In the end she was. He told her to get her act together and she became the head of some charity fund-raising company or something and all of a sudden was a millionaire living in a brown stone in New York.
Babsi: You always get that, the big whopping enormous apartments. But then the main character went through a time when he was just drinking and not really getting anything together and lived in a small apartment and I reckon that was fairly realistic. But it was good, it leaves you with a good feeling, which I usually don't get from American movies.
Brett: It was good and it was about a modern relationship.
Babsi: Little Miss Sunshine was a lot better. You really can't compare it at all.
Brett: I loved Little Miss Sunshine
Babsi: It was good. That really was a good movie. But it was an independent one and Definitely, Maybe is a blockbuster. There's your big difference. Although not all art movies are good, Last Days for example is destined for our bottom drawer ( bottom drawer list will follow soon). It's a sort of arty movie about Kurt Kobain and it's terrible.
Brett: It's rubbish, nobody says anything the whole movie. There's a couple of grunts and one yelp but no dialog.
Babsi: You see his butt in the first scene and you think, “This could be a good movie.”
Brett: (Shrieks)
Babsi: Well yeah, but you know...
Brett: That's when the dread really started to set in for me.
Babsi: Well we are different. He looked ok, nice butt.
Brett: It was a bit pale.
Babsi: But leaving that aside, Rachel Weisz's character was quite interesting.
Brett: Yeah, but she put her job first, she was a journalist and she was doing a story on a politician the main character was working for and she went easy on the politician for him...
Babsi: No but she didn't, she published the dirt.
Brett: No she didn't and she got criticised for that so she did a follow up article. She really did her research, and that was when she found out he was dodgy and then published the dirt. And then she got criticised and everyone called her a “bitch”, but I thought if that was a mail character he'd be applauded for it.
Babsi: Ah, I see, I see. That's an interesting point.
Brett: When I saw it I thought, “Now that's weird.”
Babsi: Yeah but, it is very complicated. That sort of ended their relationship didn't it.
Brett: Yeah, that was a deal breaker. He walked out and they didn't see each other for a long time, and they were never close again. Just like that, over.
Babsi: But that's pretty realistic in a way. It can happen. Do you mean a woman would be more forgiving if she was working on a campaign and her boyfriend journalist wrote a negative piece on her candidate? Probably not. It's quite bad if you work for somebody and you write an article about their boss being dodgy.
Brett: I just thought if it was a male character, would people be saying, “It was wrong of him to do his job well?”
Babsi: Her character was really interesting. I thought all the female characters were quite interesting.
Brett: Yeah, apart from the high school sweetheart.
Babsi: But she slept with the flatmate, that was cool.
Brett: That was cool and modern, I liked that.
Babsi: It was interesting and modern so they didn't quite dare to paint her as quite fantastic and perfect, because the main character did at the beginning and you thought, “Oh dear, this is dull.” It was written well, it was a good script.
Brett: It was very witty.
Babsi: It was very funny. I loved his friends, the other guy on the campaign was funny, he was cool.
Brett: You just thought he was pretty. He didn't get the best lines and he wasn't the best actor.
Babsi: I thought he was pretty good.
Brett: He was all right.
Babsi: No I liked him.
Brett: I know you liked him that doesn't mean we can tell everyone he was a good actor.
Babsi: Beans to you, I thought he was a good actor and you'd better agree or you'll get some sand in your face.
Brett: Because we are lying on Bondi Beach recording this on a mobile phone, that's what the sand in the face thing is about.
Babsi: Yay, life is a breeze.
Brett: Life's a dream.
Babsi: On a Monday, I hate Mondays.
Brett: But this movie is good is what we are saying right.
Babsi: I thought it was good. I really liked the fact that it was set during the Clinton campaign. That was cool and they'd researched their stuff well. It was set in the early 90s and that was clever, and there was one bit where George W was on TV. He was just on TV and that was interesting.
Brett: Everyone was saying “Who's this idiot.”
Babsi: Yes! That was cool. I guess for an American movie, that makes it pretty out there. For an American romantic comedy it was pretty out there.
Brett: For an American movie I got a left wing vibe from it, because it showed divorce in a positive light. It wasn't conservative, I don't think, although he did get disillusioned with Clinton after working for him.
Babsi: I liked that, because it's in the beginning that you're all enthusiastic. Like the copy girl character, because she was all... she didn't give a monkey's. She worked on the campaign but she didn't care at all, which was interesting because if people work for the president you expect them to want him to win and that they're all behind it. But of course that's not the case. It never is. I thought she was cool and she had some cool views and I really liked her the most. She was funny and sort of quirky.
Brett: There was a cool scene where he criticised her cigarette choice because they were a bit more expensive than his Marlboroughs. He told her that she was just paying for the logo and she told him that hers actually costed less. They had a bet, and they went outside for a smoking race. And it turned out that his had a chemical in that made them burn faster and his was finished first.
Babsi: It was kind of funny and kind of clever.
Brett: There was lot's of well written stuff where they were flirting without really flirting. Yeah it was really cool. As a love story it worked really well.
Babsi: It did work really well, and they had good chemistry, and it was quite believable, They were just friends for a long time and she dated some hot dude called Kevin.
Brett: That was funny because it seemed like she'd made him up. It was almost like after they had that conversation she went out and found someone called Kevin. Because he didn't believe there was a Kevin.
Babsi: No I believed her, she was cute.
Brett: I didn't believe it either. When he went to the flat a month later and there was a Kevin there I was surprised. It was a funny scene anyway.
Babsi: There were a couple of things that could have been rubbish, like the book thing. You could have thought, “How tedious.” but it wasn't.
Brett: By the time the book turned up I liked the movie so much that I thought, “Oh well, I'm going to go with it.” And the kid thing, in another movie, nope, click, turn off.
Babsi: You had tears in your eyes though.
Brett: I was crying a bit, I liked it.
Babsi: Ah, what made you cry. You cried at Titanic as well.
Brett: That was only once though, in this one I cried two or three times. When she finally realised that she liked him too and she came back from Europe. But he already fancied someone else and he hadn't told her. She was crushed and I started crying a little bit.
Babsi: Ah, you're tragic.
Brett: She was being brave, she just pretended she didn't love him after all and gave him a hug, and was happy for him and stuff. And she did, like this wet eyes thing very well, like bambi. She did it three or four times in the movie and I got wise to it after a while and I even thought she might be just putting some chemical in there to make her eyes glisten. But the first time on the street when her eyes went watery it got to me.
Babsi: In Titanic they had to close the cinema because it was flooding with tears.
Brett: I'm going to declare this review over unless you behave yourself.
Babsi: No you behave yourself, and admit that you cried at Titanic.
Brett: I did, but so did you!
Babsi: No I didn't.
Brett: Yes you did.
Babsi: I did not.
Brett: You wept, it went beyond crying into weeping.
Babsi: You wept, you wept buckets. The cinema was drenched, they had to close the place afterwards. They had to put up a sign saying: "Closed because of too much crying." How lame is that?
Brett: You didn't wail, but you had to stifle the wails, there were some grunts and some snuffles.
Babsi: Titanic is beyond anything, it will be featured in our bottom drawer for being rubbish. So how many spirals for Definitely, Maybe then?
Brett: Not five that's for sure, but not one. Three?
Babsi: Three seems about right.

No comments: