Thursday, March 6, 2008

Lost. To time travel, or not?


Brett: Yeah, I liked this episode. I liked it very much, but it was still a little dissatisfying.
Babsi: Well what kind of answer do you expect. What do you expect to actually happen. You never get any answers anyway, I mean you know that don't you.
Brett: I suppose so. I suppose he's come as near as he's ever going to, to saying it's some kind of time difference between the island and the outside world, and it's something to do with electromagnetism.
Babsi: I've done a bit of research and had a look round and they were talking about another hatch. Which is the Orchid Hatch and is something about bunnies. And Ben knows something that these people want to know about. I'm starting to think that, I'm starting to piece it together a bit. I think the problem is that it's weekly so you've kind of forgotten everything you've seen. Well not everything you've seen, obviously, you're not an amnesiac. You just sort of get confused, and you think, “Huh? Who was this person?” Because there are so many people, and different groups of people now.
Brett: And they behave so oddly. Like these rescuer, scientist, Ben-hunter people who in the trailer for next week, look like they're going to be doing some weird experiment on the island.
Babsi: Yeah, I don't know what the story is going to be about that. It's interesting that one of them is an anthropologist. I thought that was quite cool. I presume they all have their own private goals and you sort of see glimpses of their lives and sort of try to piece it all together. I'm starting to think it may be about cloning. I would maybe even go as far as to say that the characters are clones.
Brett: Got cloned? It happened, it's over? Nah never! I think, they'll think they were cloned, for seven episodes, and then find out that they weren't.
Babsi: (Laughs). That would keep things exciting wouldn't it.
Brett: And that the clones were put on the airplane and killed, to make it look like they died.
Babsi: What? Say that again.
Brett: Ha ha! So there's an airplane underwater and it's full of clones.
Babsi: Right! Right. What? No! Well we've seen it season one yes. Yes that's right people we've had four seasons. So what? Which people are cloned? The dead people are cloned? Why would dead people be cloned ? That's mad.
Brett: There were reports of the airplane being found underwater, and the pilot was there. And didn't...oh, I can't remember what any of them are called now. The one that fell out of the sky and Locke knifed her.
Babsi: Erm, ... Naomi.
Brett: Yeah.
Babsi: Yeah right:
Brett: Yeah.
Babsi: So what's with her?
Brett: Didn't she say, “You are all dead,” and weren't they all watching on TV as the plane was found.
Babsi: Yeah, I sort of read somewhere that that was just a hoax.
Brett: It is but with, clones. You can't make a hoax like that, just with dummies.
Babsi: But who's behind the whole thing.
Brett: The dude from Neighbours.
Babsi: The dude from Neighbours?
Brett: And the OC, and every other show in the world. He must have a great agent. He always plays the powerful bad guy who has a heart attack. He'll have a heart attack in this.
Babsi: I don't know...The rat thing was interesting I thought. He made the rat disappear.
Brett: Yeah, the rat went into a trance and learned how to do the maze, and then did the maze.
Babsi: Oh, the rat didn't disappear?
Brett No I don't think so...The whole thing's mad isn't it?
Babsi: But it is fascinating because there are lots of people out there who wonder about space and time travel. I mean it's strange and magic that we are here in summer. You know, when I'm on the phone to my friends they say stuff like, “I'm just going to put my gloves on.” And I want to say, “Gloves? It's 20 degrees you freak!” Because, you know, you live in your head and so all your friends live with you in your head. And you don't really realise that they're just in a different place. I mean I'm getting my text messages three weeks later. And so you know, it's a down under thing probably. It's really quite weird.
Brett: Yeah, you could wake up screaming in the rain in Glasgow, like Desmond.
Babsi: Oh. No thanks! That wouldn't be good. Why would you chose Glasgow? Why would anybody chose Glasgow?
Brett: Well, you don't chose it. That's the point. Oh my god I need an umbrella brother. An umbrella brother. I need an umbrella brother.
Babsi: It was quite clever to say that the only way to do it was to find his constant.
Brett: Yeah, but it wasn't exactly science though was it. The science was sort of like, “a = x, and some people have really big heads, and so it often rains on a Tuesday, and so you need a constant. You need to phone Emily and then everything will be OK.
Babsi: Penny.
Brett: Penny, sorry. The actor sold it very well.
Babsi: You know, it's a bit like a Mickey Mouse comic. I've read plenty of these Mickey Mouse stories where Mickey has to go backwards and forwards in time, and he needs a bike, and things go wrong because he doesn't have his back. I've always hated these stories, because they're always so crazy.
Brett: Wasn't it all supposed to be realistic. During the first series. It was like, “OK, we know there's a monster, but it'll all be explained in a realistic way.” And now we find out that there are time-travelling people who use constants to get to the island, and whose clothes fall off. I'm obsessed with Desmond and how his clothes fell off. How can electromagnetism make you're clothes shoot off.
Babsi: Well, really strong pressure perhaps would. But the problem is I didn't pay enough attention in physics class to really understand what's going on. But physics is a very strong and strange subject.
Brett: True.
Babsi: And we had this crazy teacher back in school. And we did these weird experiments which were odd and strange. Strange and fascinating, but I was usually bored. So for people having physics class, you know, they're probably all watching the show, and they can bother their physics teacher.
Brett: I wonder what the teachers will say.
Babsi: But these things have a fascination, and dreams and flash backs and flash forwards. You know, you're always saying, “I'm getting a deja vu.” For me, the place around here seems super familiar, and I've never even been here. It feels just as familiar as if I'd lived here all my life. And I f´think a lot of people feel these things and I think that's a big part of it's success. I think each show creates a lot of theories, and bit, by bit it reveals stuff. I mean when you go back and recap, or watch it again, or whatever, you'll notice different stuff. I think that book was very interesting that the erm her dad was buying in an auction. And the auction was about the Black Rock. The pirate ship. Penny's dad is after the book. He wants to find the secret to time travel.
Brett: Ah, that makes sense. So it's all about time travel now. It is pretty much true. This was the episode where it all fell into place. But what's Ben up to? Are they all time travellers or something. (Shrieks in pain). I just put the phone charger on my lip and electrocuted myself. Ow, that hurts.
Babsi: He's experimenting on himself.
Brett: I just travelled in time. I was just in Glasgow in the rain. I wanted to go to the tropical island but I went the other way.
Babsi: People are going to read this. Stop it now.
Brett: Ow. But it hurt.
Babsi: Anyway apart from the grumbling.
Brett: There are quite a few volts going through that thing, ow.
Babsi: But who would have left the boat there?
Brett: Some pirate. The pirate is probably one of the others.
Babsi: What? What are you talking about?
Brett: The hostiles, where did those people come from on the island? They are people from time or something.
Babsi: There was some good photography in this episode. I must say that. When Desmond was in the phone box being shot from above. That was a nicely planned very clever shot-
Brett: Did you like it. You haven't said if you liked the episodes.
Babsi: I did like it. I liked the actor who played Desmond. He's good. He can hold an episode really strongly.
Brett: I like how strange that character is.
Babsi: He reminds me of someone from Brighton. Think about the people from Brighton who were into crop circles. Oh they had fun in Brighton. They're really quite nuts. I did like it. It was really quite interesting. I mean if you found everything out tomorrow, you would probably be disappointed. There are lots of things that didn't happen. It's not the purgatory thing that a lot of people thought it might be in the beginning. It wasn't that at all, but a lot of people said time travel early on, when I was looking through all those forums. My favourite was always the flashbacks, they were always a cool layer that told you a lot about the people. And the island itself is an important presence. It's a specific place with specific circumstances, people seem to age more slowly.
Brett: I guess that's why Penny's dad wants to find the place.
Babsi: Something to do with the magnetic stuff. Her dad must have his own reasons.
Brett: Perhaps he wants to live forever.
Babsi: He certainly didn't care about Desmond. How many spirals should we give it?
Brett: How many?
Babsi: Three, I guess. One for the plot, one for Desmond's acting and surely one for the photography. But it seems to come together a bit more, I think the clue will be in the journal, which pennys dad bought. Pennys dad might be the spy and the captain of the ship.

We have added an additional related Lost item which is the book which is rumoured to have been the inspiration for the story.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Babs and Brett,
You had me howling with laughter:)
from the very jealous,
xxxxxxxAnna and Kulfixxxxxxx
(In cold,wet,windy & sometimes earthquakey Yorkshire)